George

"Kudzu" wrote in message

OK, I was fortunate to actually get the manual with this lathe. It was
made by Brodhead-Garret of Cleveland Ohio and is called a J-Line Bowl
lathe Model J-116. There is no date in the manual unfortunately but the
book makes me think 1940's. Arch, your very much on track and bring up
some good points that in my excitement I must admit I have not
considered. The manual doesn't have much information in it on the lathe
itself. It concentrates on instructing "how to turn". The lathe was
clearly made as a bowl lathe for making bowls, platters etc. The lathe
was clearly intended (based on the manual) for faceplate turning. It
doesn't mention what it came with in the manual but mine has (3) 7"
faceplates

Sadly, I believe I can recall advertisements for the J-Line (will you
believe I learned to read very early?) in Popular Mechanics and similar
publications. Fifties is the time frame. Perhaps if you checked an index
you'd find something like a review.