Prometheus

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 05:40:29 -0230, "Keith Young"
wrote:

Hi
Me Again

I have a really old Record lathe. I can never get the tool rest to tighten
properly. Actually it needs a tap with a hammer to do the trick, which
really peeves off an associate of mine. He suggested cutting the tool rest
holder with a hack saw to allieviate some of the holders strength, to allow
it to collaspse easier on the tool holders shaft. Shims wrapped around the
holders shaft don't do much either. Does anybody know a supplier for a new
tool rest holder for the Record lathe.Or any Workable suggestions.

There is an adjustment bolt on the bottom of the banjo on my midi
lathe that can be tightened or loosened to adjust the amount of
pressure you need to use on the handle. Of course, sometimes I get a
little lazy if it gets vibrated out of adjustment, so I've got an 18"
(give or take) piece of glavanized electrical tubing left over from
another project that I slip over the handle and use as a cheater bar
untill I finish what I'm working on. It works great, and is a whole
lot easier on the tool than hitting it with a hammer. Same logic
applies for just about any bolt, IMO- a lot of guys at work like to
hammer on the machines, and then wonder why they break. Smooth,
steady pressure with a lever keeps your amount of force controlled,
and doesn't ding up your tools.