CW

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:14:25 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I've seen that a fair amount as well. At least at the place I work
now, the guys in the office still come out and run a machine from time
to time (the company only promotes from within, and only from those
who can perform every operation from the plasma-cutters to the mills
to the powder-coating line).

The place I'm at is a third generation family buiseness. If you are related,
they give you a desk, a computer and a paycheck. The olnly way I have seen
an outsider get in on this is to marry into the family.

I'm still young, so I bemoan the state
of manufacturing quite a bit-

I'm 45, considered an oldtimer as relativly few last in this buisiness
(small job shops) as long as I have.

our average new employee is in and out
in less than a week,

Same with us.

because nobody wants to get dirty, or get a
scratch on their soft, pretty skin anymore.

I see that that is not just a local thing.

Being a steel fabricator
used to be a respectable job because people understood that it is
skilled work- now it seems to be regarded as inferior to being a
night-time stocker at Walmart, if some of our ex-employees are
anything to go by.

Well, time will tell. I just keep hoarding tools and knowledge for
the day when I'm going to really, truly, need them. Of course, if
that day never comes- at least I've got an excellent hobby!