Leon

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
The difference in appearance is w/ snipe there will be a small rounded
leading edge and then a vitually parallel to the jointed edge slightly
narrow section to the end. W/ the technique problem you describe, the
cut will simply change slightly in angle and proceed to the end of the
piece resulting in a short tapered section on the end.

OKOKOKOKOKOKokokokokokkkk, ;-) If you or were looking at the board that
the OP is talking about with the snipe on the end, a VERY close examination
might reveal a 1" taper vs. a narrower area started with a rounded corner.
Typically and depending on the degree of the problem area most would call
the area snipe.

However if the OP has not yet finished straightening the edge of the board
and if the board bows up in the center and he pushes down causing the board
to pivot, he will have a combination of both snipe and taper. When the
bowed section bottoms out and when the board end is no longer supported by
the in feed table there will be snipe even if the out feed table is set up
properly and there can also be the taper from too much pressure on the end
of the board. Either problem can be very hard to detect by simply looking
and especially if the affected area is mostly noticeable by feel or putting
the piece up against a straight edge.

Basically all I was trying to point out is that the little area recognized
and descried as "snipe" on the board, can be often caused by improper feed
as well as the out feed table not being set up properly. Whether it is
actually snipe or taper would be hard to tell. The definition of snipe
sorta goes along the same lines as the definition of a biscuit cutter. No
one really buys a biscuit cutter as that is the machine that makes biscuits,
not the slots that they fit into. What most people are referring to is a
Plate Joiner to cut biscuit slots. I suspect snipe is used to describe the
resulting defect on a board whether it be made from improper equipment set
up or improper technique. I was simply trying to cover all bases for a
possible cause of the area being described as snipe.

Originally the OP did not indicate whether he was using proper technique or
not. Now that he has in a later post I would agree that he has truly got
snipe and improper machine set up.