Kudzu

My Internet service has been down. I was on the tractor doing some
landscaping and came in the house to find no TV or Internet. It seems
that they didn't bury the cable very deep. DAMHIKT. :-)

OK, I was fortunate to actually get the manual with this lathe. It was
made by Brodhead-Garret of Cleveland Ohio and is called a J-Line Bowl
lathe Model J-116. There is no date in the manual unfortunately but the
book makes me think 1940's. Arch, your very much on track and bring up
some good points that in my excitement I must admit I have not
considered. The manual doesn't have much information in it on the lathe
itself. It concentrates on instructing "how to turn". The lathe was
clearly made as a bowl lathe for making bowls, platters etc. The lathe
was clearly intended (based on the manual) for faceplate turning. It
doesn't mention what it came with in the manual but mine has (3) 7"
faceplates

The manual shows diagrams of large bowls (14" dia), platters, hollow
form (6" long) and even some plans for a set of Bongo Drums. (That might
date it to the 50's??) I had not thought about the fact that it was not
intended for rough blanks but I do think you are correct. There is
mention about gluing up blanks, sawing them round etc. It has a 3/4"
spindle and the castings, while not very heavy do appear to be very strong.

As for the Banjo it was/is a point of concern for me too. I have been
toying with building (welding) something stronger and with some height
adjustment on it.That way I don't damage the original and I can do more
with the lathe. I bought it use but I don't want to ruin it either or do
an permanent modifications to the lathe.. I have no problem with someone
that would take this and restore it to like new, I just hate to see one
not used then.

After giving it some thought while writing this I guess I am going to
have to change my plans for this lathe. I think I was so excited to get
it that I did not really think this through and consider the limitations
of the lathe.. But that is why I asked for advice too!

The manual recommends a 1/2 HP motor but I don't have one that size and
I still love the thought of variable speed even it it is not original to
the lathe. Coming to my senses makes the slower speeds less important if
I start out with round and reasonably balanced blanks. I have a bandsaw
so I can trim up my blanks before putting them on the lathe but I still
love to do natural edge bowls and I think with some care that shouldn't
be a problem as they are not all that much out of balance. I guess I
will just have to start slow and see what it is capable of.

I assume no one will ban from the group if I mount a chuck on here? :-)

BTW I am looking for a Delta/Rockwell lathe (Big heavy one, like the
46-450) with the variable speed control that I can add riser blocks
too. So I can do an serious chainsawed, out of balance blocks on that
lathe, once I find one.

Anxious for you input!