Chuck

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:56:33 +1000, "Andy McArdle"
wrote:

I'm not sure what direction to use when honing gouges... do you stroke
along the bevel (from side to side) or in the same direction that a
grindstone would cut?

Use it just as if it were a grinder. The idea is to pretend you are
trying to shave a piece off the hone with the edge. IOW, if you hold
your gouge so the curve is in this orientation -- U you would
carefully hone in an up-and-down orientation, maintaining the angle of
the bevel by resting the hone on it. I find it is easier with
longer-handled tools to rest the butt of the handle against the work
bench, so to stabilize the business end of it a bit more.

I'll tell you, that diamond hone works pretty well on my parabolic
drill bits I drill pen blanks with, too. Every time I touch up the
cutting edge, I manage to cut the end of one or more of my fingers,
cleaning chips out of the groove. You'd think I'd learn after a
while!
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com