Martin Whybrow

Default Case hardening steel, what types will work?

Further to my last post (Material for clamping wedges), I've now determined
that the original parts were case hardened steel.
I will be making the parts up soon, but I don't know what grades of steel
can be case hardened; the commonly listed steels for case hardening are EN3B
(SAE 1017 or 1022) and EN32 (SAE1016), but these are not readily available
in small quantities (600mm / 2'). I can obtain EN1A (free machining mild
steel, no direct SAE equivalent) or EN8B (closest equivalents are SAE1040
and SAE1038) from model-engineer-friendly suppliers, but I am unsure if
these can be case hardened. I plan on using Kasenit case hardening powder to
harden these parts. Can anyone enlighten me?
Martin.
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom