Andy McArdle

Air dried walnut and poplar. YMMV.

Hmmm... I'm sure I have some Black Walnut & maybe some English

(Persian)
Walnut curing out back (must be time to weigh 'em in!)
but no poplar. I'm guessing you mean an aspen (for the colour) rather
than a balsam or cottonwood? Are they all much the same, turning wise?

He probably means Liriodendron tulipifera, a member of the magnolia family
sold as tulip poplar, yellow poplar, or just poplar.
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/bltulip.htm

That's a relief because I tried turning a japanese poplar P. Sieboldi(sp?)
with no luck. I think I botched the drying though.

It's nice to know that we aussies aren't the only ones with misleading
common names.

True poplars, like aspen are stringier, almost bulletproof in drying from

rough, and lack the greenish color tulip poplar can have.
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/bltrem.htm

My favorite, because in both Greek and French, it's called "tree of

women's
tongues" because the shape of the leaf makes it wag constantly.

I know the ones, we have 'em lining a couple of streets in the plusher
suburbs. Now that you've told me that I'll probably be poked by the cook
for s******ing every time we drive past...

- Andy