All in all, it's a perverted system where those in the legal profession are
able to create the laws, interpret and rule upon the laws, and profit from
the laws.

Isn't that a tautology? If you "create the laws, interpret and rule
upon the laws", then you pretty much *have* to be in the legal
profession, don't you?

All sorts of people profit (and loose money) from all sorts of laws.
Today I just found out I have to pay $300 just to *file* for a
divorce...

Just to get into rant-mode, breifly, but I think almost any "community"
becomes self-serving, given enough time. And there are "bad apples" in
any community... from police to preists. Lawyers are just easier to
villify.