Christopher Tidy

jim rozen wrote:
In article , David Anderson says...

I own a vintage International Harvester single-cylinder hopper cooled farm
engine in mechanically excellent condition. I believe the model designation
is LB, and probably dates from the late 1920's or 30's. It used to start
on the first crank, but no more. I suspect the magneto is weak. Any
suggestions how to bench-test this mag? I have a professional quality
digital VOM but no specialized magneto tools. The mag has a centrifugal
device that "snaps" at slow speeds. Regards, Dave Anderson

First off test to see if the coil is continous. This probably
looks like a telephone mag, right? It has the horse-shoe magnets
over the top?

Sorry, perhaps this is how you intended to use your VOM? This is fine. I
thought you meant using the VOM to measure the magneto's output voltage!

By the way, have you tried fitting a new spark plug? It's worth a try
before you start testing the megneto.

Chris