Jim Stewart

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"~Roy~" wrote in message
snip----

You'll soon find cans and other thin materials are bit the greatest
for melting due to all the surface area and tons of dross you get, but
hey, its certainly better than twiddling your thums with nothing at
all to melt down........

True, but their value as scrap is greater than the yield. Seems to me a
guy could come out much better by selling the cans and buying scrap cast
aluminum, perhaps from the same source. Still leaves you with the *fun*
of melting and casting ingots, but without the tremendous loss. The bonus
is to end up with aluminum formulated perfectly for casting, very unlike
melted cans.

Very true. My scrapyard will pay about $1.30/lb
for cans and sells me diesel pistons for less than
a dollar a pound. Any day, every day.

Which would you rather cast with?