Duane Bozarth

Leon wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

That's still taper, albeit exaggerated.

So by your definition, the OP is describing taper and not snipe.

No, I'd read his situation as precisely my definition of snipe...he's
operating the jointer correctly (by his description, his technique
sounds pretty good) but the piece drops slightly when it clears the
infeed table resulting in snipe over the last couple of inches
(precisely how long, of course depends on the bed gap dimensions and
cutterhead diameter of the particular jointer).

In your scenario, otoh, it doesn't matter if the jointer outfeed height
is perfect, the effect is owing to an improper excessive downward
pressure on the material causing the end of the board to tip slightly
into the knives.

The difference in appearance is w/ snipe there will be a small rounded
leading edge and then a vitually parallel to the jointed edge slightly
narrow section to the end. W/ the technique problem you describe, the
cut will simply change slightly in angle and proceed to the end of the
piece resulting in a short tapered section on the end.

HTH...