On 19-Jun-2005, "dadiOH" wrote:

If that's what you have been doing, I haven't a clue as to what you are
doing wrong.

yeah, that's what I've been doing. I don't have a clue what's going wrong
either.
Gonna go pickup some mdf crown at the despot today and practice some more
on that. If I can't get that stuff coped right I'll never be able to do
this maple.

For crown molding, doesn't the bevel need to be a compound bevel?

E.g if you were using a chop saw you'd clamp on a sub fence to hold
the molding at a 45 degree angle with respect to the table, e.g.
leaning against the fence, and then angle the saw at 45 degrees to
chop straight down. With a compound chop saw you can probably do
that face-down on the table, a cow-orker did his that way but first
he did all the trig to figure out the angles. Not sure how to do
it with a table saw.

Maybe you should try an analog approach. Hold the mating piece against
it, with both at the angles at which they will be installed. Of
course you won't be able to hold them tight together, they will only
touch at one point. Then hold the side of a pencil flat against the
face of the mating piece so it overhangs the end far enough to reach
the face of the other and roll the pencil down to trace the contour
on the other.

Then cut that out with a coping saw.

If either method works, let me know };-)

Also, walls are notoriously unflat and unperpendicular at the corners
where the plasterers may have used a little more spackling than else
where in the room.

--

FF