Joseph Meehan

Soon I will be removing a lot of the wood lap siding on our 1938 house
and replacing it with fiber cement lap siding. The wood siding is in
poor condition and we are adding a room on the back of the house which
would make it impossible to weave in the fiber cement with the old
wood siding. Anyhow, I'd like to add insulation to the walls from the
outside while I have the siding removed. Currently the walls are not
insulated. I live in northern California and the walls are standard 2
x 4 studs, no plywood sheathing between the studs and the siding. I
was planning on using R-13 batt insulation but don't know which type-
unfaced, kraft paper or encapsulated in plastic. My preference would
be in order- encapsulated, kraft paper and then unfaced. I plan on
covering the insulation with either house wrap or 15 lb. roofing
paper. Is there any reason not to use the plastic encapsulated
insulation, stapled to the outside of the framing studs and then
cover it with either Tyvek or building paper and then the Hardiplank
lap siding? The interior walls are lath and plaster. Thanks.

Dale

In northern California I would guess you should have the vapor barrier
towards the inside. Check local codes or local builders. I would make sure
it does have a vapor barrier. That leaves out the encapsulated stuff as the
plastic is intentionally compromised to allow ventilation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit