CW

There's still enough of us around that no how to make things to do it.
Unfortunaly, that won't be the case for too many more years. We're retiring.
A good example of the kind of thing that is wrecking the manufacturing base
is the place I presently work. Machine shop, run by an MBA. 50% of the
employees sit behind a desk. They wonder why they can't make any money. I've
been doing this since most of them were in grade school. When I have said
anything about getting more people producing and less people just collecting
a paycheck, I get put off as an old timer that just doesn't know how it's
done these days. Will be switching jobs here shortly. Let them go broke by
themselves.

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:26:33 GMT, "CW" wrote:

That's a little remembered fact. We could do it again.

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
m...

I'll just point out that we didn't have that capacity in 1941, but
we did by 1945.

The US was a manfacturing based economy. Now, everyone seems
hell-bent on pretending we can get by with consumption as our
watchword. When you get an entire generation or two who think that
they are entitled to consume and feel no need to produce, it doesn't
create the kind of environment that allows a society to ratchet up
production that quickly. It's a different world now.