firstjois

Jim wrote:
We ended up buying a kitchen table with stools that are about 5
inches too tall. My question is how to shorten the chair legs
properly so they sit and look good. You are talking to a novice with
a power miter saw that I think would do the job but I need a heads
up on how to go about things. Thanks.

I've done this a few time but I use a hand saw. I cut cardboard to equal
the amount I need removed and about 1" wide. Then I measure off that
cardboard against the legs all way round with a china marker (so it rubs
off) and then saw.

Most legs are cut at an angle to begin with and my cardboard/marker lets me
make the new cuts at the same angle. I smooth up the cuts if needed and
then stand the chair on a flat table or the flat part of the table saw. If
it rocks then I rotate one leg off the flat surface until 3 legs stand flat
and then mark the remaining leg and sand it to match the others.

Josie