Derek Andrews

Kudzu wrote:
Well my top speed, if I use the fastest combination is 1977RPM. I don't
expect to do much small stuff on this lathe. I 'expect' to just be
turning larger bowls and hollow forms.

Can you quantify 'large' bowl? And what is the diameter of the headstock
spindle? So much depends on the spindle and the headstock construction.
You can put all the weight you like in the bench, but if the spindle and
bearings aren't up to the job of handling a large bowl, or hanging a
hollow vessel off the end, you are wasting time and energy shovelling
sand I'm no mechanical engineer, just speaking from experience of
using inadequate lathes.

It is really difficult to get any idea of scale from the photo, but it
does look flimsy to me. I agree with Arch's comment:

"unless the pic is very misleading it was designed for light & balanced
turning, perhaps for a special purpose. Maybe it is wooden bed spindle
lathe with tailstock missing. Maybe it is a disc or platter lathe."

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com