T i m

Default Large wood / steel hs drill bit with small shank?

Hi all,

It's funny what comes to you in your sleep ;-)

I was trying to think how I could put a small(er) shank on a large hs
twist drill for my project (assuming I can't buy one ready to go) and
how to hold it in the lathe ..

Just thought .. if I hold the plain shank in the 3 jaw, turn a section
down from the chuck towards the tip of the drill then saw the section
that was in the chuck off afterwards? The only way this wouldn't work
is if it's got a morse taper rather than a parallel shank?

With that attached to my SDS fitting via a .5m length of tube / bar
(bored) and the ends tacked in with the MIG I should have a high
speed, reasonably tough, true, re-sharpenable post stub drill ;-)

Now, when's the nearest boot sale for a large, cheap drill bit .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m