bw

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, folks,
I want to build a screen door, following the plan in a recent Workbench
magazine, which calls for white oak 1 1/8 thick. I tried the local
lumberyard, and they acted like I was crazy.

I tried Rockler, and they don't have anything that thickness and
suggested a lumberyard. When I told them I'd already been to the
lumberyard, they suggested going to a door shop.

My feeling is, if I'm at a door shop, I might as well buy a door!

Surely this isn't an uncommon size. Any advice on where to buy? I'm in
Los Angeles.

There are standard sizes for hardwood. Find a hardwood supply, not a
lumberyard.
I would use 1 1/4 inch material (called 5/4) and finish the pieces to the
required size.
Pretty dry in LA so you might want to actually measure the 5/4 to see for
yourself.