T i m

Default Large wood / steel hs drill bit with small shank?

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:17:06 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

I too have a 1m long 25mm SDS bit, but probably don't treasure it as much,
as it only cost me ten quid.

My set of 3 were only 15 quid but I visualise a more 'suitable' home

Ebay, set of three?

I think mine were the same as the eBay ones but were from the Friday
market at the top of the road so no carrage ;-)

So one of the spiral wood augers with the tip like a woodscrew and the
vertical cutting blades either side of the lifting edges? On an
electric drill? Surely if that 'bit' it would attempt to drill down at
a fair rate, even with a drill set on 'low / slow'?

It does.
It is controllable though.

Fair enough ..
snip

Well that was the thought re the SDS .. slower / torquier, HS bit
(tough / designed for speed and easy to sharpen) and l o n g
extension so I could possibly work standing up and save my old knees /
back ?

Combined with a slow, high torque SDS drill, I think it'd be a good match.

I only have one (well two actually) of the cheapo SDS's (1 from Argos
19.95, the other from Makro, 14.99 + Vat) and am not quite sure how
slow slow is (or even that it has more than one speed?)

I think I would avoid working standing up if I could.
Poorer control.
Get a nice thick kneeling mat.

And get a smack in the gob when it jams ;-) (I get your direction
though)

I bet! I have used those angle grinder wirse brushes with the
'bristles' made of what looks like 3 twists of coathanger .

Somehow the sharp end of any falling out bristles lands in exposed flesh
at high speed.

Of even non exposed flesh .. I found they go straight through a
sweatshirt sleeve!

All the best ..

T i m