Kudzu

Well my top speed, if I use the fastest combination is 1977RPM. I don't
expect to do much small stuff on this lathe. I 'expect' to just be
turning larger bowls and hollow forms. But you never know of course. I
am looking for a Delta/Rockwell lathe to go with this one. I want to add
riser blocks to it. This lathe is not suitable for spindle work as it
has no tail center. I see down the road using both lathes in conjunction
with one another.

Interesting point about the small pulley. Had not thought of that. I can
go with a 2 inch and 6 inch on the second pulley and get about the same
speeds but a 6" won't fit in the existing guard. I can of course build a
new guard but really don't want to do that. I am hoping/expecting that I
won't have to use the smallest pulley at all.

The motor controller is a Reliance Electric 230V pulse width modulated
controller. I found it at the www.surpluscenter.com. I am can the motor
and controller for $200. The motor is matching Reliance commercial
model, not one of the treadmill motors. I looked at those and decided
against it. Plus I really like the TEFC enclosure on a lathe.