Arch

I agree with r h, Starting from zero rpm or even varying the speed
between belt changes was once a luxury and still may be for mini lathes,
but IMO for today's larger lathes, the luxury has become a necessity.
Reminds me of the 'luxury' of powering the brakes, steering and windows
on cars. I thought when they first came out they were just luxury lily
gildings. Same with scroll chucks, revolving tail centers and grinding
jigs.
My dad probably felt the same way about self starters and Skill Saws, a
crank and a Disston were 'good enough' for him.

I won't bring up the Luxury of movable headstocks or lathe beds. Too
many of my friends have "Noway" to do this and besides I'm not in COC
mode.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter