T i m

Default Large wood / steel hs drill bit with small shank?

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:45:17 +0100, "donny"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message

I'm trying to make a special drill for drilling out the stump of a 9"
sq wooden gate post but want to leave the surrounding concrete intact.
snip
(Someone kindly suggested 'sharpening' a masonry bit but looking at
it's design I'm not sure it would work very well through 4.5m (9 holes
x .5m deep) of 'good' wood?)

Call me a pyro but I'd try burning it out.

Hi Donny the 'Pyro' ;-)

This was put forward as an option to a similar question I asked
recently (same problem, different 'angle'), but:

It's right on the public footpath

It's quite deep

I don't know how it would 'breathe' (so probably go out without blower
asistance). Maybe if I got some sort of thermal lance fitting for my
BOC Portapak I could take the bottles back empty!) ;-)

It's probably 'damp' ;-(

I think I tried it last time and it was very slow ..? ;-(

I don't want to crack the surrounding concrete (I want to refit a
smaller steel post)

I may well have missed a technique on any of the above (I've thought
of Semtex) though?

All the best ..

T i m