Toby

Default Portland Cement - how to mix????

Al wrote:
Hi.

I have half a bag of Portland cement that my builders left.

I need to put a swing in the garden and I'm supposed to bury part of
the legs legs in cement.

Do I just mix the cement with water or do I need to add some sand?
There are no instructions on the bag!

Thanks,

Al.

The ratio is not too critical, but for this kind of application I'd go for
six parts ballast to one of cement. Mix it dry, then add small amounts of
water. Also as it is going straight into the ground aim for a damp mix
rather than sloppy. The curing is a chemical reaction not one of
evaporation.

Using this ratio conveniently uses three bags of ballast.

Ballast? It's sand, grit, small stone aggregate etc all mixed in one. To
make concrete you really need cement, sand and some aggregate.

Toby.