T i m

Default Large wood / steel hs drill bit with small shank?

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:10:20 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:10:39 GMT, Cicero wrote:

Have you considered a wood auger bit? They come in quite large sizes
but even the large sizes have a small shank (about 9mm).

As the OP wants joined holes I think an auger bit is the only sensible
approach. Any "ordinary" drill is just going to wander into the
adjacent hole very quickly.

The 'idea' here Dave would to drill pilot holes (say 12mm) with a long
extension so that I can get the fairly upright and at say 60mm
centres. Once they start to go there shouldn't be much to send them
astray. If I then follow up with the 25mm 'superdrill' that should
follow the the pilot holes and then some rabid diagonal drilling after
that to eat away the 'bridges' ?

Even so I doubt an auger bit will keep
true for 1/2 a meter...

I fell a hand cranked bit is less 'easy' to keep vertical than an
electric one? I could ecen set one of those caravan 2 direction levels
on the back of my SDS drill to keep it steady all the way down. If
thay can join two tunnels half was across the channel, *I* should be
able to keep a .5 m run straight (ish) shouldn't I?

As to the initial problem, interesting. I think I'd end up with a
brute force and ignorance approach of some sort, involving lump
hammers and long sharpened bits of steel bar to split and break up the
timber. Rather than trying to drill accurate 18" deep holes...

I used that approach the last time I did the same to the other post
Dave. Just didn't fancy spending any more time than necessary laying
on the pavement with my hand down a hole up to my shoulder like some
old gold prospector ;-)

The other 'problem' here is *I* set these posts originally (some 26
years ago) and I remember exactly deep they are and how much concrete
is around them. (*my* fences have all survived the same storms that
sent everyone elses 6' panels flying down the road .. just the rot
thing that has let me down ..)

My *dream* is to walk out there with my large tool (titter g) and
have the old post out cleany and in double quick time. To that end I
don't mind spending time and (some) money making (if needed) a tool
(or tools) to help me do so?

All the best

T i m