donny

Default Large wood / steel hs drill bit with small shank?

Call me a pyro but I'd try burning it out.

Donny.

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:35:34 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm trying to make a special drill for drilling out the stump of a 9"
sq wooden gate post but want to leave the surrounding concrete intact.

snip
(Someone kindly suggested 'sharpening' a masonry bit but looking at
it's design I'm not sure it would work very well through 4.5m (9 holes
x .5m deep) of 'good' wood?)

Why not?
Looking at one, if you take a fair bit off the top, to leave a
90 degree cutting edge, with some relief, then it will cut fine,
though perhaps not as fast as a proper bit.

That was my thought Ian .. ;-(

Cutting away a large portion of the bit support that the carbide is
soldered into to enhance chip removal would be a good idea.

I *do* have a 1m long 25mm SDS bit but I didn't really want to muller
it just for this job when for similar money I could (possibly) make
something more suitable?

Alternatively, a simple auger worked very well for this sort of thing.
If I could have welded it on a long shaft, it'd have been ideal.
(it was around 1")

Are you talking 'hand brace' here Ian? Well that *is* a thought, would
be easy to extend and would be quiet in use but I don't fancy plugging
through 4.5m of even softish tannalised timber by hand if I can help
it?

Maybe I'll get one of those wood chewing things for the angle grinder,
lock it on, throw it into the hole and run away! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m