Ron

Water hammer can be can rupture pipes or weaken joints if it continues. A
hammer arrester can be installed at the stops of the unit that's causing the
problem.
Ron
"Juan C. Reyes" wrote in message
Howdy,

I live a condo (4 condos per building). In the last several months, our
building has been exhibiting this odd "hammer/banging" noise coming from

the
plumbing. At first, I didn't know what this was, but now I suspect this

is
water hammer.

I'm trying to better understand how this could happen suddenly, since this
just started a few months ago (with no noise for several years prior). We
did have one unit do a major bath/kitchen remodel (shortly there after is
when the waterhammer started). Other than that, I'm not sure what could
cause it. Water pressure was found by our home owners association to be

OK.
Is this due to loose pipes in the walls (our four units share the plumbing
system)? Would a water arrestor at the main (main for the 4-unit

building)
solve this problem? Any theories on causes and potential solutions would

be
appreciated.

Thanks.