Sam Goldwasser

Darmok writes:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:27:01 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"NSM" writes:

"James Sweet" wrote in message

On a modern TV, zero risk, I've seen people *try* to make Xrays with a

TV
CRT and have very little success, there's just too much lead in the

glass.

Better to look at "The Amateur Scientist" in "Scientific American". I'm

sure
they have had a do it yourself X-Ray generator.

Typically they use an old high voltage rectifier tube. Never heard of
using a CRT.

It was more of an experiment just to see if Xrays could be produced with a
CRT, as I recall about all it did was melt a big hole in the shadow mask.

Okay, so I can see that the majority are clearly of a mind that xrays
cannot pass through the heavily leaded front of the picture tube.
What about the thin, transparent neck in the back of the tube?
Nothing much offering protection there, is there?

Many computer rooms, work cubicals, etc., have the monitors lined up
back-to-back so that people on the opposite side would receive the
X-rays from the back of the other monitors. If X-rays were a significant
issue, we would have heard about it by now.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.