Andy McArdle

[---8---]
The downside is the cost to both tools & grind-stone. My 5/8" bowl gouge
lost almost as much length in turning out one 8" bowl...

Andy, might I suggest the fine art of -honing- rather than grinding
all the time. Saves lots of wear on the gouges with just a few swipes
of a diamond hone, and you barely have to slow down to do it. After I
shelled out the last gazillion bucks for a raft of ASP 2060 gouges, I
determined that I wasn't going to grind them away to powder (from
whence they came) and invested in some DMT double-sided diamond hones.
Can't beat 'em, and I rarely have to grind.

I've only recently started doing this with a small diamond lap that I bought
for other tools, chisels, etc. but mainly for the touching up of my
scrapers. With a quick pass or two as soon as they start to lose their edge
means I can generally complete a job or two before needing to renew the burr
on the grindstone.

I've tried it on gouges, but need more practise in getting the motion
right... another part of the art I've yet to master. More steel would
probably be saved if (when, really) I buy a grinding jig but I'm a firm
believer in learning the basics thoroughly before becoming dependant on
aids.

Believe me, seeing my $ disappear in sparks is, for me, a me great motivator
to learn quickly!

- Andy