Eric R Snow

On 17 Jun 2005 16:05:58 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wroteclip)Also, for the demagnetization of the chuck isn't
the best way to achieve this is to apply ac and slowly decrease the power?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you're talking about demagnetizing the chuck, meaning allowing it to let
go of its load, you may not have to be that elaborate. The technique of a
"tapering" AC field is needed when you need to get rid of ALL the residual
magnetization. And it is usually applied to the type of steel that holds a
field with the power off. Your chuck was probably designed not to hold a
residual field. Try just interrupting the power and see what happens.

On my Sanford grinder with the EM chuck, the "demagnetize"
position of the switch just applies pure AC to the coil, which does a
good enough job to release the workpiece.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thanks DoN, That's just what I was looking for.
Eric