Walter Harley

"Peter Hiscocks" wrote in message
I'm considering purchasing a hot-air soldering station to help solder SMC
boards. The Madell 8502 (for example) is a fraction of the cost of some of
the other 'big name' hot air soldering stations. Does anyone have any
experience with this brand?

I don't know the Madell. I recently bought an Atten 850D hot air station
from Acifica (http://shop.vendio.com/evan2002), have used it for SMD part
removal as you describe, and am happy with it. Just based on part number
and the fact it comes from China, I expect it's similar to what you're
looking at, maybe with different features (the 850D has some extra
features). I haven't tried soldering, only unsoldering. It was inexpensive
but seems to do the job fine. Acifica was fine to deal with; I got quick

No relationship with Atten or Acifica other than "satisfied customer."