mike

Been using one for almost 10 years now....great machine; I would buy
another. I am getting ready to put a DRO on it. I was reading in this group
about one yesterday but haven't had time to look at it. I can hold less than
1/2 thou easily.

Mike

"John Horner" wrote in message
Yesterday I drove about 5 hours round trip in order to be able to lay eyes
and hands directly on the Birmingham CT-1440G lathe, which is one of their
Made in Taiwan models as opposed to being Made in China like most of the
off-brand 14x40 lathes.

I must say that from what I could tell in looking at the machine that it
appears to be a very well made piece of equipment. Little if any backlash
in the various feeds, hefty castings, nice finish work, clear easy to read
dial and markings. Even the handwheels felt very nice to the touch.

For the around $4000 price of a new machine with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, two
steady rests, etc. this seems like quite a good deal in modern equipment.
The quality looks to be a significant step above the ~$3000 Chinese 14x40
machines I've seen at Harbor Freight and Grizzly.

Is anyone here running this machine?

John