George

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
news:bOBse.76877$nG6.74557@attbi_s22...
When I've taught woodturning, I start people turning between centers using
only scrapers held horizontally (or slightly downward) on the tool rest.
Make something simple or even sacrificial. A gavel or candlestick. Use

any
cheap wood you have around like cottonwood, poplar, basswood, pine, etc.

I always started the kids on shaker pegs. They have the five basic moves of
roughing, cove, bead, plane and parting. I always wondered if, given how
useful the simple peg is (was), and how many were used by the shakers, who
had to sublimate their other urges by putting "hands to work," they didn't
start their novices on them as well.

David, first tell folks what you have for tools, and then you can get more
specific answers.