Mike Marlow

"Chuck" wrote in message
m...
I'll add a second note of caution. Adding a laundry chute between floors
will allow a fire in your basement to spread almost immediately to all
levels of your house. If you had a fire in your dryer from lint backup,

you
could burn down the entire house pretty quickly.

So does you stairway. Better seal it off immediately.

I don't know much about building codes, but I know that there are pretty
strict rules about opening a 'chase' between floors.

Not in residential building.

If you do move forward with the laundry chute, I'd recommend putting
relatively air tight, fire resistant 'doors' at both the top and the

bottom
of the chute. The bottom door could be spring loaded, or preferably you
could open it manually. You could let the dirty clothes pile up inside the
chute instead of on the basement floor.

Oh come on. Is there nothing that doesn't bring the alarmists out in this
group? Not to be offensive Chuck, (and I apologize if my tone sounds
offensive), but this type of suggestion just defies normal everyday life.
Look hard enough and you can find boogy men lurking under any bed in
America...

--

-Mike-