Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am looking to construct a laundry chute in our closet. I was
originally going to use large diameter pvc pipe but found it
prohibitively expensive. I also looked into sheet metal ducting but it
didn't seem stable enough and too many places for clothes to snag. So I
am going to build it out of 2 x 4's and drywall. It will be about 12"
square. I was going to place a side hinged door with a handle on the
wall outside the closet for access. And I may or may not place a metal
or plastic plate on the ceiling down in the basement attached with
spring hinges to cover the hole from the chute. The hole in the ceiling
will end up around 2 feet from the wall with the clothes dropping into
a large basket sitting on a cart with casters I will also be building.

I was wondering if I could get away with using 1 x 3's instead of the 2
x 4's. Also if anyone could take a look at my proposed plans and
comment/advise that would be greatly appreciated!

I've got a two story laundry shoot that sounds like it's very similar to
what you're considering except mine dumps into a cabinet I built in the
basement laundry room - makes for a clean scene. You can go as light duty
as you want for a laundry shoot - it's very non-structural. Mine uses 2x2's
for framing and 1/4" plywood inside. You could build it with nothing more
than one-by framing if you have scrap around that you can cut up into
"studs", since there is really no force exerted on a laundry shoot. No
sense overbuilding a simple project like this.

--

-Mike-