Dr. Deb

David C. Stone wrote:

Hopefully spinning up my lathe for the first time soon.

I was wondering if there is any particular wood that you'd
recommend for learning on? Judging by some of the
posts in the past week, I'm guessing that would NOT include
purpleheart or peach!

Two things in addition to the others.

The best way to learn is to make mistakes, lots of mistakes. That being
said, try not to make the really stupid ones that will hurt you. You know
like wearing loose clothing, loose gloves, no face shield, high speed on a
non balanced piece (the flight path of those is really interesting though).

The other thing is, when you turn green try both the "turn to 1" and put up
for a year" and "LDD" (Leif has a doc on this that he will gladly send)
methods of stablezing wood. Personally, being the impatient type, I prefer
the LDD method.

Deb