Ken Moon

"George" wrote in message

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

For those contemplating salvage systems, remember that Freon was its
own
lubricant, so you'll have to provide some or seize the system.

Hopefully
not while you've got something hanging up there that could smack you.

============================
George,
The older York compresors had an oil sump. The oil has a look similar to
hydraulic fluid. I saw a demo of one that had been in use for several

years
with no lubricant problems.

Certainly, but it _is_ the exception, isn't it?

Could be, but I don't think so. They needed lubrication just like any other
cylinder/piston assembly. Seems that I do remember him changing oil
periodically. Some racers also used these compressors for tires and air
tools in the pits. They'd mount it on their tow truck either in place of the
normal AC unit or build a separate mounting bracket to mount it below the
block, sort of like some of the newer cars mount their water pumps. They
used a regular automotive paper air filter to clean incoming air, so there
was no lubricant in the airflow.

Ken