Eric R Snow

Default Lamp dimmers, rectifiers, and mag chuck questions

I bought a magnetic chuck off ebay. It was a good deal but it came
with the wrong rectifier. And it's not worth the hassle trying to
return it. So, I was wondering if a lamp dimmer, with enough wattage
capacity, could be used with a rectifier to power the chuck. Also, for
the demagnetization of the chuck isn't the best way to achieve this is
to apply ac and slowly decrease the power? I know that to use the
demagnetizer I have the part must be slowly drawn away from the unit.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow