nosmo

I have the same headstock exactly as your gif.
You are on the right track. Nothing complicated, just take your time and
make sure you get everything back the same way.
The only thing I changed when I did mine was to replace the M6 set screw in
the spacer 11-0111.
It had marred the shaft and I replaced with a silver tipped set screw from
Pic design.
Do not overtighten the bearings when you re do the preload.
~d

"xray" wrote in message
news
I posted another question about replacing belts on my Taiwan lathe. I
think I am now convinced that I should pull the guts out of my headstock
and replace the standard belts.

I'm hoping I can get a little advice to see if I know what I need to do
to get the spindle out.

I scanned the parts diagram from the manual and colored in the different
parts so I could more easily see how things are arranged. I have posted
the inmage in my own webspace he
http://www.xertech.net/pub/Headstk_col.gif

Here's about what I think I need to do:

1) Loosen the spindle front cover. It won't actually come off because
the lathe spindle shoulder is actually bigger than the hole in this
cover. (Not like the diagram.)

2) Loosen the lock nuts one the back end of the spindle and remove them,
the gear, and the spacer. I could remove the Spindle rear cover, but not
sure I really need to.

3) Loosen the set screw on the spacer inside the headstock on the back
end.

4) Tap on the back of the spindle to free it toward the chuck end.

Am I on the right track? Should I expect the shaft to slide inside the
bearings without lots of effort? How about the key on the big gear; is
that likely to slide out easily too.

I think I see how to get the other shafts apart, so I am not worried
about that yet.

Thanks for any guidance on my approach or what to watch for.

I could post my parts picture in the drop box too, if that would be
useful, either now of after I get the job done.

-Rex