Chuck

I'll add a second note of caution. Adding a laundry chute between floors
will allow a fire in your basement to spread almost immediately to all
levels of your house. If you had a fire in your dryer from lint backup, you
could burn down the entire house pretty quickly.

I don't know much about building codes, but I know that there are pretty
strict rules about opening a 'chase' between floors.

If you do move forward with the laundry chute, I'd recommend putting
relatively air tight, fire resistant 'doors' at both the top and the bottom
of the chute. The bottom door could be spring loaded, or preferably you
could open it manually. You could let the dirty clothes pile up inside the
chute instead of on the basement floor.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article .com,
wrote:

I was wondering if I could get away with using 1 x 3's instead of the 2
x 4's. Also if anyone could take a look at my proposed plans and
comment/advise that would be greatly appreciated!

Check your local building code. Laundry chutes are considered something
of a fire hazardand may not be allowed.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com