Geo

Hi,

I am looking to construct a laundry chute in our closet. I was
originally going to use large diameter pvc pipe but found it
prohibitively expensive. I also looked into sheet metal ducting but it
didn't seem stable enough and too many places for clothes to snag. So I
am going to build it out of 2 x 4's and drywall. It will be about 12"
square. I was going to place a side hinged door with a handle on the
wall outside the closet for access. And I may or may not place a metal
or plastic plate on the ceiling down in the basement attached with
spring hinges to cover the hole from the chute. The hole in the ceiling
will end up around 2 feet from the wall with the clothes dropping into
a large basket sitting on a cart with casters I will also be building.

I was wondering if I could get away with using 1 x 3's instead of the 2
x 4's. Also if anyone could take a look at my proposed plans and
comment/advise that would be greatly appreciated!

http://patmedia.net/marklevinson/plans/laundrychute.htm

Thanks,

Mark

Sheet metal should be fine if installed correctly. That's what we had
installed when we built out house six years ago. And with three kids
and tons of usage there has not been a single snag. If you happen to
use your chute as much as our family does I could foresee wear and tear
that might eventually wear the outer layer of the drywall. So, you
might get a pile of dust along with the rest of the stuff you throw
down there. Plus, wet stuff like rags might also add to quicker wear.
Just my $.02, but I would reconsider the sheet metal option.