wmbjk

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:34:34 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:38:06 -0500, Rex B wrote:

How did this get from "Alternative Power" to "Survivalism" ?

They are as intertwined as salt and pepper.

Gunner

I disagree. I like the idea of off-grid living, although I may never
attain it. One can be self-reliant and as independent as possible
without being threatened by the apocalypse.
I'm more bothered by $200 electric bills than by impending anarchy.

Rex

Who said anything about "anarchy" or the apocalypse? Is that what you
equate survivalism with?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

Survivalism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A survivalist is a person who anticipates a potential disruption in
the continuity of local, regional or worldwide society, and takes
steps to survive in the resulting unpredictable situation.

snipped detailed definition

We all know what a survivalist is *supposed* to be. And we also know
what most of the blowhard self-professed survivalists actually are.
The funniest thing is that you expect people to believe that you'll
have the will to do without during difficult times after TEOTWAWKI.
Even though the will to do without in normal times when it's easy, is
more than you can muster.

http://www.swfrpc.org/hurr.htm Anarchy?

You're moving to Florida?

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000027.shtml Anarchy?

So you're working on the Taft ark?

http://quake.ualr.edu/public/nmfz.htm Apocolypse?

You might take a more southerly route to Florida, and avoid Arkansas
altogether...

http://www.fema.gov/kids/wldfire.htm Paranoia?

Hmm, there seems to be a trend here what a shock, a blizzard of
cites that don't actually support your fears or your position.

http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease...9_3846,00.html
Madness?

Now we're getting somewhere. A quote from that site - "families and
individuals should remember that they could be preparing for upwards
of three days in isolation." Is that what you think "survivalism" is?
We generally go to town once a week. That's a routine six days of
isolation, and it wouldn't be a hardship to go double that. Lots of
rural folks go way longer, and most of them wouldn't call themselves
survivalists.

Here's the general idea - get your everyday **** together. If after
doing that you have any time and money left over, *then* get ready for
the apocalypse of your choosing. Doing it the other way around is
irrational.

Mighty wide paint brush you use.......

That's pretty funny coming from the guy who day after day, assigns
outrageously exaggerated or wholly fictional qualities to half the
population.

Here's a narrow brush preview of your fate should your fantasy come
true -

Day 1. Discovers that bluster can't be traded for butts or soda.
Day 2. Loses dumpster diving access to younger competitors.
Day3. Jonesin' for the Internet, because there's nobody to ask if an
empty water tank is indicative of a leak.

It'll all be downhill after that...

Wayne