Ed Huntress

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
snip
Our excuse for killing off manufacturing in the UK was Thatcher.
What's America's excuse ?

Free trade. There are highly regarded experts from both ends of the
political spectrum who say it's necessary.

They all have jobs in the service sector and are relatively immune from
foreign competition themselves.

This may have been true at the higher levels at one time but with
telecommuting service sector jobs are also rapidly disappearing.
For example many low to mid level accounting jobs such as tax
returns are now done overseas. Where the jobs cannot be done
externally H1B visas allow worker importation.

I didn't intend to lead that point to a discussion of how vulnerable service
sector jobs are, because, as you say, that situation in general is changing
fast.

With tongue in cheek, I was suggesting that US government economists, so
far, aren't showing much worry about having their *own* jobs outsourced to
India.

However, given that the ideological posture of our current administration
seems to have no throttle and a seemingly unlimited fuel tank, they may give
that one a try, as well.

--
Ed Huntress