David W.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:fqUre.432334$Yr4.48000
@fe07.news.easynews.com:

Kendall P. Bullen wrote:
My neighbor bought a house in a new community out in the boondocks
with an HOA, but as a new community with very large tracts of land,
everyone has their own architects (maybe even their own builders?).
:-) So everyone has different styles.... Woo-hoo!

Not at all unusual. Having an HOA doesn't mean the designs have to be
"cookie cutter". Virtually every home in our neighborhood was custom
built by different builders, over a long (40 year) period of time.
There aren't two homes that are alike, but they all do have some deed
restricted traits in common such as setback, enclosed garages, paved
driveways, tile roofs, etc.

But many HOA's force their idea of style down the homeowner's throats. Some
friends owned a townhome with an HOA. They were told, "Next month you will
hire firm XXX to paint your exterior THIS color." Naturally, the color
sucked. And when their windows (and those of many of the townhomes) failed
at about 5 years old, all the owners were told they had X amount of time to
have them replaced (at the homeowners expense) with essentially the same
window from the same manufacturer. Needless to say, there was enough
protest over that stupid decision that they managed to get it changed (with
the threat of a lawsuit).