Art

IMHO: Sounds that you have imbalanced circuit design within the residence
also, along with the possible loose neutral. Most moderately high current
devices in the kitchens and utility areas of a residence have priority
circuits specified to them, and are connected to the service in a way that
they cause minimal un-balancing of the overall system.
wrote in message
In alt.home.repair wrote:
Short story: On a US-standard 240/120 100 A service, I am seeing 8 to 9
volts difference between phases when a 120 V 1.3 kW microwave is
running. Is this excessive, or acceptable?

All,

Thanks for the advice! To clarify something that was asked a few times,
all of the numbers in the chart I gave were measured directly at the
breaker panel. I took the cover off the panel and put one meter lead on
the neutral/ground bus bar and the other meter lead on one of the two
screw terminals where the hot wires from the meter are connected.

If it is a loose neutral, it almost has to be on the power company's
side. My breaker panel is right on the other side of the wall from the
meter... the supply wires into the breaker panel enter through the rear
of the box and I presume they are coming out the rear of the meter can
as well. The neutral connection to the neutral/ground bus bar in the
panel appears to be tight.

I will call the utility in the morning and see what they have to say.
I'll post back with further developments.

Thanks!

Matt Roberds