Andrew

Default Joining 22mm compression fittings to brass pipe

In article , IMM
writes

"Ken Adam" wrote in message
I'm replacing a bath in an old flat.
The existing supply pipes are lead, which are then "soldered" to very

short
lengths of 3/4 brass pipe.
What sort of fitting can I use to connect to the 3/4 brass pipe?
I naively tried a 3/4 olive in the 22mm fitting, expecting it to work as

on
a copper pipe, but the joint
has a very slow weep (i.e. it gets damp, but no actual drip).
(of course now I can't remove the olive, and there isn't enough pipe to

cut
it off and start again).

Am I condemned to getting a new pipe fitted to teh old lead, and if so,

does
that still have to be brass?

Is there some other solution?

Brass is very "old", and there is no guarantee that it is the same OD as
imperial copper. It was meant to be threaded. Cut it away to the lead.
There are lead compression to copper fitting now available. I think
Screwfix do them. http://www.bes.ltd.uk do them. Better still strip out
all the lead.

Homebase sell 3/4 imperial to 22 mm end-feed solder connectors for just
this job. £2.99 each and the one on Earls Court rd had ten in stock -
strange (for a shed) but true.
--
Andrew