Patriarch

"N4IXT" wrote in
ink.net:

Hi All,

I have a question. Recently I bought a metal frame / axel that serves
as the base for a trailer. All I have to do is put on a floor and
sides.

My question: Since I plan on painting, do I need to go to the extra
expense of purchasing pressure treated lumber, or will standard lumber
hold up fine since it will be painted?

In the industrial neighborhood near the port and rail heads, a couple of
the hardwood dealers have what they call 'utility truck decking', for the
floors of trucks, trailers, rail cars, etc. Cheap hardwood, meant to stand
up to the abuse that such floors get. Usually some variant of oak, or
something with similar characteristics. I'd at least make a few calls.

The 'new PT' doesn't seem to have the same surface hardness as the old,
copper arsenic green kind. At least the kind I've seen. And the fastener
requirements are different, for corrosion control. In some cases, what
works with the 'new PT' isn't completely understood quite yet.

Patriarch