Grant Erwin

Art wrote:

Hello.
I bought a used arc welder today which included a box with assorted
stuff. One of the things in the box was Victor O/A torch with cutting
head and regulators.

I'd like to get it running but am wondering how safe it would be. Do
I need to get it checked out by a service center first, or will any
problems be immediately detectable (and I dont mean a firey death)
when they are hooked up?
TIA !

Hook it up and fire it up. If the torch goes pop pop it's got dirt in the
valves. If you can't cut straight with it then the regulators may need work.

Be *sure* when you first start out to momentarily crack the tank valve to blow
out any crud, *then* put on the regulators, and put the hose onto the regulators
and again briefly blow out the hoses, and only then put on your torch. Old O/A
stuff can have a bunch of dirt and grit in it which you do not want to blow into
your torch. Oh, and a set of flashback arrestors (inline check valves) installed
on your torch will add a level of safety too. - GWE