Ashton Crusher

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:12:59 GMT, "JJ" wrote:

No Joe,
I'm saying I have 3 erratic cracks that have appeared in three different
sections of the pour. They cut expansion joints down the center of the
drive and then also cut them about every 20ft across the driveway. The
cracks run across the drive, from one side to the other, and they don't stop
at the center expansion joints, they continue across the entire width of the
drive. They are not near the horizontal expansion joints and I'm not Irish!

There can be a lot of variation but generally speaking, concrete will
crack every 15 feet to 20 Feet if there is not a joint placed to force
a crack at the joint. If the concrete had any areas that were more
then 15 to 20 feet between joints then there is a risk of a crack
between those joints. And that's with good concrete that's cured
properly. If the concrete was low strength or didn't get a good cure
it could crack at closer spacing. You said it had steel in it but I'm
assuming it's just temperature steel, the typical mesh stuff, not real
rebar closely spaced as would be used in a true reinforced concrete
slab. True reinforced concrete slabs generally will not crack with
wide cracks at 15+ spacing but will form very small cracks every 4 to
8 feet. Temperature steel won't stop cracking, it just helps hold the
crack closed and might make the spacing a little farther apart.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
JJ wrote:
Almost two weeks ago I had 3,100 sq ft of concrete poured for a
driveway and apron in front of the garage. I was told to let it cure
for 7-10 days before driving on it. We gave it 9 days before pulling
one car into the garage.

13 days after pouring, I've noticed I have 3 major cracks in 3
separate sections. The cracks run right through the expansion
joints, from one side to the other of the drive

Are you saying that there is a crack at the bottom of the expansion
joint and that is your question? If so, call back the contractor
apologize and thank him for doing a good job. Those "expansion joints"
are there to provide a place for the concrete to crack, since we all know
it is going to do it the joint just provides and nice neat weak spot.

and are spaced about
20ft apart. They are about 100ft from the garage and apron sections.

The contractor is coming over this week to check it out and I'm
wondering what demands I can make to cure this? He has not been paid
yet!
What are my reasonable options to fix this?

Thanks,

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit