Rick Nelson

"No, but I look in some of my woodworking magazines and it seems that's
all they use. As a beginner, I need all the accuracy help I can get. "

That comes at a cost. If you have unlimited funds, go for it. The
last time I used my scribe was when I needed a grid of holes to be
exactly parallel/perpinduclar to each other (an adjustable wedge clamp
thing). For most cuts, a couple thousandths isn't going to matter, so
no point in spending money at the outset for a tool that isn't going to
benefit you.

I mentioned measuring tools and straightedges in my first post. The
reason is that they are the standards which everything is measured by
in your work. I think the square is the most important tool in the
shop. You use it to make sure all your cutting tools are cutting
square, your drill press is truly perpindicular, and to check your
handplaning (and many other things). A good straightedge is essential
for setting up a jointer. If your measurement tools are out of whack,
everything will be out of whack and every step will be frustrating.

A wooden mallet is used to strike an object without damaging it. You
can do that with a chunk of pine 2x4. Don't go overboard buying the
"best" tool for non-critical tasks until you have nothing better to
spend your money on. Sure, there are times when a pencil line just
isn't accurate enough, but, if you can't justify it in your
current/next project, then you can't justify buying the tool.

I'm with you on buying the best you can affford and getting tools that
will last several lifetimes, but there are times that it is overkill
and you'd be better off spending the money elsewhere. Opinions will
differ, but I think that a good tri-square and dial-calipers is one of
the best investments you can make in your shop. Bite the bullet and
shell out a $200-$400 on those, then fill out your shop when you can
identify why the tool you have isn't performing up to task and can
identify why and what tool will solve the problem. I don't mean to
sound condescending, but it seems like you are looking for solutions to
problems that don't currently exist.